See Jane Knit

Monday, January 09, 2006

'Tis better to have knit and frogged... 

...then never to have knit at all. Or 'tis it? There are times when frogging, even when you know that it has to be done, just hurts like a bee-otch. Anyone who says they don't mind frogging is lying. Anyone who says they really enjoy frogging? Well, they can bite me.

Now that I've got that off my chest, I'll give you three guesses as to what prompted these musing on the nature of The Frog. The first two don't count, of course, because if you're smarter than a rock, you already know that I must have had to frog something. And I did. My Cabled Bandeau by Veronik Avery from the current issue of Interweave Knits is gone. This cable-y goodness here?

cabled bandeau close up

It's turned into this pasta-like, frog-tastic mess:

frogtastic

Yup. 400 yards in, and I had to frog. As the French would say, "Quel domage!" That, folks, is fran-cais (pronunciation guide: frahn-SAY!) and translates loosely to "what a crisis!"

However, I honestly can't really complain too much, because, truth be told, it was my own fault. I made a few very stupid mistakes. Now, there are a few people who frequent the Knittyboard who claim that stupid is a four letter word. They would like to banish the word stupid from our everyday lexicon. These are the kind of people who believe that there are no stupid questions.

Well, I respectfully beg to differ. I will say that many people call themselves stupid unnecessarily. Most questions aren't stupid: you don't know how to k2tog? Well two years back, neither did I! Welcome to the club! Many people should give themselves a little more credit for daring to learn and explore. HOWEVER, there are still some very stupid acts, and I myself have definitely perpetrated a few. For instance, I could have avoided frogging if I had done one of the following things:

1) More carefully measured my gauge.
2) Made a larger swatch.
3) Measured a similar knit top that I own to make sure I was knitting the right size.
4) Not tried to delude myself into thinking the top didn't look too big. (If it looks to big, you know what? It probably IS. *gasp!* Quel realization!)
5) Put it on waste yarn and tried it on earlier, if only to prove that it really wasn't as gargantuan as it looked. (See parenthetical remarks above. )

But I, in my infinite intelligence, did none of these things. Yes, that's right. I went on my merry way, assuming that I could somehow overcome my own shoddy and irresponsible planning. It just goes to show you, stupidity isn't about not knowing something; it's about knowing how to do something the right way, and doing it the wrong way. And how wrong I was! I'm going to go now, make an offering the Knitting Gods, and begin the bandeau anew with hopes for better results. Wish me luck.

Also, on a happier note, a picture from back in December of the first snow day of the year!

First Snow Day!

That's the view out my dorm room window. Unfortunately, the Weather Gods are also against me, as they are not offering up any more of this snowy, class-free goodness. Quel dissapointment.
|
- - - - - - - - -
invisible